Colorescience approached JohnsByrne to partner on the development of sustainable packaging to transition their products from the current use silver foil board which isn’t recyclable.
For the development, the stock, color and coatings needed to be evaluated to determine the best approach for optimal branding of the relaunch.
- JohnsByrne provided FSC uncoated and coated stock options in both 18pt and 24pt
- White comps were also developed on both materials in 18pt and 24pt along with ink drawdowns
- UV satin varnish, aqueous gloss, and aqueous satin coatings were each evaluated using coating drawdowns on all three metallic PMS colors used
The 18pt FSC with 10% PCW paperboard stock was chosen for use with the UV satin varnish making the package sustainable and fully recyclable.
- Fully recyclable
- Premium FSC certified package paperboard with 10% PCW content
- Premium look using metallic inks with less ink coverage
- Packaging that aligns with the brand message (pure, natural)
- Use of FSC and recycling logos to promote sustainable package to consumers
The previous met poly silver foil board was replaced with FSC certified paperboard with 10% PCW
Use of the FSC and recycling logos promotes the sustainable package to consumers
The updated packages features a premium metallic inks, a satin coating and embossed logos.